The mission of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Virginia is to provide children facing adversity with strong and enduring professionally supported one to one relationships that change their lives for the better, forever.
Matching dedicated volunteers with deserving children is what we do best. As a volunteer, you have an opportunity – not only to impact a child’s life today, but to transform their potential for tomorrow.
By matching a volunteer with a child in need, we not only give that child hope for his or her future, but we create a culture of giving back to the community. Through the efforts of our volunteers, we change lives…for the better!
Does the work of Big Brothers Big Sisters matter?
Yes! In fact, the following statistics were reported over the 2016 fiscal year:
- 82% of children with a Big Brother or Big Sister said the relationship with their BIG helped them make better decisions.
- 86% said the lessons they learned from their BIG helped increase their self- esteem and to make better choices throughout their adult life.
- 79% of children with a Big Brother or Sister reported doing better in school because of the influence of their Big.
- For every $1 invested in Big Brothers Big Sisters, communities see a $3.28 benefit through reduced violence, crime and improved educational outcomes.
- When just 1 in 100 children is matched with a BIG and put on the right path – in school and out of jail, we as a community reap the rewards.
Each of these statistics validates the wonderful work that Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Virginia does throughout Central Virginia.